" LeadershipBlog: Leadership QualitiesShowBetterLeadership "

Monday, November 12, 2007

Leadership Qualities

There are 100's of books, speakers, company CEO's. All of them have a list of qualities that make good "Leaders." You can read about them, listen to them, and see them on the news. Talking about what they feel those qualities are. Before you do that think about this:
"What do you stand for?"
What is the single most important quality you feel defines who you are?
Do you have one?
If you do then you are ahead of the majority of people out there who consider themselves "Leaders."
As for myself, I have one train of thought. Since the birth of my first child 27 years ago, I tell myself everyday "Today I am going to be the kind of person I want my children to be." It has helped me in my career to become what most people would consider a "Quality Leader."
Define who you are, what you would like to become, or what will guide you to success. Just know that "People will not follow you if they feel that you don't know where you are going."

Thanks
Frosty

"You have to enable and empower people to make decisions independent of you. As I've learned, each person on a team is an extension of your leadership; if they feel empowered by you they will magnify your power to lead. Trust is a great force multiplier."
-- Tom Ridge

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with most of what you are saying so I would put a question to you: What if you are a brand new manager entering a well established store and the people there have been there for years with systems in place, what would be the quickest most successful way to win them over to the new ideas you have?

Carl Frost said...

Very good question! First of all let me remind you that YOU were given your promotion because you have value to add to the business.

That being said. I have always found that your first week to 10 days in an established store should be used having conversations with your people. I would recommend that you do this one on one. Gain their insight. Find out which systems are working and which systems need improved. Ask for their input and make the changes as needed based on that information. If they know that you are there to HELP THEM build a culture then they will have a vested interest in seeing the the changes are not only positive but that they got to play an active role in the process.

Hope this helps.